Wednesday 20 August 2014

Medicals

Keep calm and complete your Medicals.


Commencing your paperwork for your medicals may seem daunting and overwhelming.
With pages of questions, ticks, crosses and appointments to make it is understandable.

First things first, Start from the top.

Part A - Declaration of Health.
Very simple and straightforward document to complete - A signature is required for your understanding that Emirates will not emply you and The UAE will not issue you a Visa if you have any of the following
  • Positive HIV result
  • Signs of active TB or signs of scaring from TB on chest from X-Ray
  • Untreated syphallis
  • Positive Hepatitis B surface antigen
Emirates will do testing in the UAE upon arrival so you do not need to do these tests in your home country unless you are concerned.
Sign and date below and onto the next stage.

Part B - Medical History Declaration.
This section is 3 pages long and has a thurough checklist of items to place your tick, cross and further information on medications and dates of examinations.
Everything from your mental health, vision, skin, back, internal organs, BMI, medication list and sleeping must be completed with 100% honesty and if you tick any of the questions, make sure you elaborate in the column to give further information to prevent them from coming back and requesting you to complete the form and upload it again.
With the completion of these 3 pages, have your doctor sign off on this and date it.
This is not a hard section to complete however it may take some time if you have medical issues that you may need to look back on documents/dates for.

I stated that I was on a medication for my skin. I was contacted by Emirates and was told that I needed my dermatologist to provide a medical report.
I also had her sign a letter that I am able to travel with this medication (Just in case!)
I am keeping all of my medical reports, scripts and letters together to travel with just as confirmation that I have been prescribed these legally by doctors.

Certificate of Dental Health.
For this you will need to book an appointment with your dentist.
Fortunately I have private health cover in Australia and my appointment was free for a check up and had to only pay $25 AUD for my X-rays.
The Dental Health certificate requires your dentist to provide and assessment of your X-ray (note for missing teeth, fillings, crowns etc).
The remainder of the form includes details for your dentist to check and sign off that your teeth meet the expected 'standards.'
Your dentist needs to comment on the following criteria -

  • Teeth and Gingiva
  • General appearance
  • Treatment recommended 
  • Treatment carried out
You'll then need a signature, stamp and away you go.

Vaccinations.
For me, this was the most time consuming document.
I had to chase down previous records, some of which were lost - just my luck. 

Now, the compulsory vaccination to obtain before you leave is your Yellow Fever Vaccination. Many of the others will have to get done and can be done so in Dubai however it will be deducted from your salary. The cost of the vaccinations is unknown to me in Dubai so I chose to do them all in my home country. I am covered by private health and can claim part of the cost. 

Here is a full list of the vaccinations:


  • Chicken Pox
  • Polio (must be within the last 10 years) 
  • Diphtheria (must be within the last 10 years)
  • Typhoid
  • Hepatitis B
  • Hepatitis A
  • MMR (Measles, Mups, Rubella)
  • Yellow Fever
  • Meningococcal 
It was quite expensive to get these vaccinations done - $650 AUD however I was able to claim half back.
Ensure that your document is signed and stamped by the doctor and you have your little book/vaccination certificate with you to travel with!


I uploaded these documents completed to the portal on the 30/7/14 and received my Medical Completed email on the 31/7/14
Yippee!

Post any questions in relation to the medicals here and I will answer as best I can :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brittany..I got my GC last week and now i uploaded Medical History certificate and i am a little bit worried because i declared that i had irregular periods..Do u think that this can be a problem? Thank u

    ReplyDelete